Entry Criteria: Diploma in Therapeutic Massage
To be accepted on to a Wellpark College Massage programme, you must meet the following entry criteria.
- Be 18 years of age prior to commencing your programme or have passed NCEA Level 2 or the equivalent level. It is an advantage if you have a pass in biology.
- Have no communicable diseases, physical or psychological impairments which may adversely affect your ability to undertake a programme of study or work with people in a clinical setting.
- Be able to communicate competently in English. International students or residents whose first language is neither English nor Maori shall provide IELTS results with a minimum band score of 5.5 overall for the Certificate of Relaxation Massage and a minimum band of 6.0 for the Diploma of Therapeutic Massage or evidence of a comparable level of proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Students enrolling for a complete qualification must submit a short essay of no more than one A4 page with their application. They should clearly state their reasons for wanting to study in the programme and work in the profession.
- Students will undergo an interview with the Faculty concerned to confirm their suitability for the programme. The Faculty has the discretionary right to decline a student a place if they think she/he is unsuitable or will be unlikely to succeed with their studies.
- Applicants must show that they have the qualities required of a health practitioner in order to be enrolled on our programmes, including excellent communication skills, emotional stability, empathy, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills, respect for people and rules and the physical and intellectual ability to complete the programme.
Applicants for the Diploma of Therapuetic Massage are required to complete the Certificate of Relaxation Massage or equivalent study. A further interview with the faculty will be required, to ascertain suitability for diploma level study.
Candidates should consider that they will be studying at tertiary level and need to be able to plan academic studies, study independently, structure ideas, complete assessment work on time and have good verbal and written communication skills.
First Aid Certificate
Students are required to complete a recognised workplace First Aid Certificate (e.g. St John, Red Cross, A1firstaid). prior to starting the clinical portion of their programme, as part of their Wellpark course of study. For this, students should enrol in a course run by an approved first aid provider. Typical fees for first aid training are $200 + GST and should be paid directly to the provider.
Wellpark College subscribes to the principles of human rights and equal opportunity in education and the Human Rights Act, 1993. No individual will be assessed for entry on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, country of origin, religion or race.
International students, please refer to the international students page of the prospectus, visit our website or contact the International Student Liaison Officer.